Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wig Out

Looking through old photos I stumbled upon some pictures of art school that brought back some memories. My senior year of college I did an art project about 17th Century Extravagance through a medium of hair design. I was fascinated with the elaborate wigs worn in the 17th and 18th Century courtrooms and how lavish style and flamboyance was held priority over personal hygiene.

I purchased wigs and braided them together to create a spider web like wall installation and powdered them white to give them a dirty grotesque looking texture and appearance.

Funny enough, the bad hygiene aspect of the project happened naturally. My studio mate was a victim of the whole NYC bed bug
phenomenon and we think she brought them into the studio bc we were both getting bit! Looking around I was horrified I came the realization that there was only one place in that room these critters could be hiding. This resulted in me panicking, purchasing a new bed, and bombing the whole place. Luckily, my art piece was saved!

I put these pictures into a portfolio and was given the opportunity to apprentice as a wig maker for Broadway after I graduated college. I accepted until I realized that I needed to get a real job.
Who knows what would of happened if I stuck it out, but at least I have these pictures to remember it by. It made me remember how much fun art school was and that's good enough for me. :)













xo
crisrose

1 comment:

  1. oh i remember the art installations with the bugs!!!

    ReplyDelete